India in the last 24 hours witnessed a jump of 295,041 Covid-19 cases and 2,023 deaths.
According to the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), both figures are the highest ever since the beginning of the pandemic.
Meanwhile, India is struggling to cope with the second wave of the pandemic as fatalities are rising at a rapid pace.
• Country’s total infection tally has topped 15.6 million (1,56,16,130)
• Active Covid-19 caseload stands at 2,157,538.
Several states are struggling to meet the demand for oxygen, a key element in treating critical Covid-19 patients.
To cope up with the struggle, the government has waived import duty on Remdesivir and its raw materials for over six months.
This is done to encourage domestic pharmaceutical companies to ramp up their production and reduce its cost amidst the rising demand for the treatment of Covid-19 patients.
“In line with PM @NarendraModi’s priority to ensure affordable medical care for COVID-19 patients, imports of Remdesivir API, injection, and specific inputs have been made import duty free. This should increase supply and reduce cost thus providing relief to patients,” Union Minister Piyush Goyal informed in a tweet.
In line with PM @NarendraModi‘s priority to ensure affordable medical care for COVID-19 patients, imports of Remdesivir API, injection and specific inputs have been made import duty free. This should increase supply and reduce cost thus providing relief to patients. pic.twitter.com/F40SX8mNeS
— Piyush Goyal (@PiyushGoyal) April 20, 2021
Meanwhile, in the last 24 hours, Covid-19 cases in Assam have reached 1,651 with three deaths.
• Kamrup Metro has recorded a total of 742 cases
• Kamrup Rural and Dibrugarh in the last 24 hours have recorded a total of 90 Covid-19 cases each.
• The total number of active cases in the state now stands at 7,685.
• Meanwhile, a total of 67,151 Covid-19 tests have been conducted in the last 24 hours.
— NHM_Assam (@nhm_assam) April 20, 2021