India in the last 24 hours witnessed the highest ever spike with 314,835 Covid-19 positive cases and 2,104 deaths.
According to the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), both figures are the highest ever since the beginning of the pandemic.
Meanwhile, India is struggling to cope with the second wave of the pandemic as fatalities are rising at a rapid pace.
• Country’s total infection tally has topped 15.9 million.
• Active Covid-19 caseload stands at 2,291,428.
Several states are struggling to meet the demand for oxygen, a key element in treating critical Covid-19 patients.
📍Total #COVID19 Cases in India (as on April 22, 2021)
▶️84.46% Cured/Discharged/Migrated (1,34,54,880)
▶️14.38% Active cases (22,91,428)
▶️1.16% Deaths (1,84,657)
— #IndiaFightsCorona (@COVIDNewsByMIB) April 22, 2021
To cope up with the struggle, the government has waived import duty on Remdesivir and its raw materials for over six months.
This is done to encourage domestic pharmaceutical companies to ramp up their production and reduce its cost amidst the rising demand for the treatment of Covid-19 patients.
Meanwhile, in the last 24 hours, Covid-19 cases in Assam have reached 1,665 with five deaths.
• Kamrup Metro has recorded a total of 674 cases
• Kamrup Rural in the last 24 hours has recorded a total of 125 Covid-19 cases.
• The total number of active cases in the state now stands at 9,048.
— NHM_Assam (@nhm_assam) April 21, 2021